Thursday, October 29, 2009

The One Where I Blog About Blogging

One of the obtacles that prevented me from blogging for so long has been the fear that I'd be consumed by it (or that there would be so little time to write that it would lie dormant like the last one). But there are a few thoughts I've had over the last few days that I wanted to share. This might fall under the "writing as therapy" category but I hope you'll indulge me.
  • The hardest thing for a blogger like me (in other words, not a journalist, celebrity or athlete) is to actually come up with something that people will want to read. So, therefore,
  • The best blog posts are not simply random regurgitations of what happened to me that day, but they are mini-essays. Particularly that have a point.
I'm a very good consumer of blogs, but only read a few regularly. I read the guy who writes about old sports uniforms, the guy who draws pictures of pinup girls wearing sports jerseys (who's a great all-around fellow--a fellow hockey fan and politically similar to me), and my graduate school professor. I also read my boss's blog to make sure I know what's on his mind.

Sometimes--but not with those I mentioned--I read blogs with a grain of salt and tend to pay more attention to the links than the actual writing. That said, I've known some people whose writing seemed to become so much more personal and passionate--and to reveal more about themselves--once they started blogging. Hopefully I'll be able to share those too. And I hope that similar things happen with me.

So, now I'll get back to my working list of essay ideas. Watch this space because more is coming. Thanks for indulging me.

No comments:

Post a Comment